Saturday, September 03, 2005

AlterNet: 'I Need Reinforcements': "New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin lashes out at the incompetence of the response to the hurricane and pleads for help.

[This is a partial transcript of an interview between WWL Radio's Garland Robinette and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin. Nagin gives the most candid, honest appraisal of the situation in New Orleans by any politician yet. At times pleading and often angry, Nagin's interview is a must-hear.]"

...

"We are getting reports and calls that are breaking my heart, from people saying, 'I've been in my attic, I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck, I don't think I can hold out.' And that's happening as we speak. You know what really upsets me, Garland? We told everybody the importance of the 17th Street Canal issue. We said, 'Please, please take care of this. We don't care what you do, figure it out.'

Who'd you say that to?

Everybody, the governor, Homeland Security, FEMA, you name it we said it. And they allowed that pumping station next to it, Pumping Station 6, to go under water. Our sewage and water board people stayed there and endangered their lives. And what happened what that pumping station went down the water started flowing again into the city, and it started getting to levels that probably killed more people. In addition to that, we had water flowing through the pipes in the city, that's a power station over there. So there's no water flowing anywhere on the east bank of Orleans Parrish. A critical water supply was destroyed because of lack of action.

[...]

In a state of emergency, you are creative, you figure out ways to get stuff done. They told me they went overnight and they built 17 concrete structures and they the pulleys on them and were going to drop them, I flew over that thing yesterday and it's in the same shape that it was after the storm hit. There is nothing happening, and they're feeding the public a line of bull, and they're spinning, and people are dying down here."

(Via AlterNet.)