Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Salon.com Wire Story: "John Roberts kissed his wife and then, like clockwork, his Supreme Court confirmation hearing was gaveled to order at 9:30 a.m. sharp on Tuesday. By 9:40, he already had dodged the particulars of Roe v. Wade four times.

'I feel the need to stay away from a discussion of specific cases,' he said.

'I think I should stay away from discussion of specific issues,' he demurred.

'I do feel compelled to point that I should not ... agree or disagree with particular decisions,' he persisted.

'That's something that I'm going to have to draw the line in the sand,' he offered.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., had wasted no time in grilling Roberts on one of the big issues of the day -- abortion -- and Roberts wasted no time in displaying his skills at the artful dodge."

(Via Salon.)