Saturday, March 19, 2005

Daily Kos :: Political Analysis and other daily rants on the state of the nation.: "Today, my heart is heavy.  By just two votes, we came up short in our effort to prevent oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, home to over 150 wildlife species.

 

I offer my heartfelt thanks to the thousands of you who joined with me and signed my petition to Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist, demonstrating our strong opposition to this disastrous policy.

In the end, over 90% of Senate Democrats voted to stop this madness -- we just didn't have the votes to overcome the Republican majority in the Senate."

...

"I'm planning to organize a consumer boycott of any oil company that decides to drill in this pristine Alaskan wilderness area.  If, through our pocketbooks, we can convince these companies to do the right thing, we can still save the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from the destruction that would be wrought by the oil drilling rigs.  I know lorax and many of you have already been talking about this -- and I think it's a great idea."

(Via Night Light.)