Sunday, January 23, 2005

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell: Farewell Remarks: "I remember the first day that I came into this lobby and was greeted with warmth and affection by all of you. That morning before I left to come down here, Alma said to me, 'Remember now, you're not in the Army anymore.' (Laughter.) 'And don't go down there and start acting as if it's an infantry battalion.' (Laughter.) And I said, 'Yes, dear.' (Laughter.) Then I immediately came down here and saw the crowd, and I started treating you like you were an infantry battalion. (Laughter.) Because you were my troops. You were America's troops. You are wonderful individuals. You are wonderful families. You are wonderful patriots who serve your nation as its troops in the far-flung outposts of American diplomacy. You are in the first line of offense of America's foreign policy."

(Via GlobalSecurity.org.)